Is the Bible Trustworthy?

We put a lot of stock in the reliability of scripture. In fact, we base our entire belief system on it. The strongest assertion for most Christians is that each word is inspired by the Holy Spirit and preserved for all time by the same authority and power. We base this assertion on a single verse (2 Timothy 3:16) "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and training in righteousness." Wait . . . we trust the Bible because of a verse in the Bible? That sounds like circular reasoning to me. Besides, Paul would not have been referring to his own letters but the scripture of his day, the Old Testament. How can we know that the New Testament is equally inspired? The Old Testament was meticulously copied to maintain its authenticity. In the 10th Century, a group of Jewish scribes called Massoretes demonstrated the kind of care that was taken with the writings of the prophets. A group of them would copy the same book at the same time. When they were finished, they would total the number of letters in the book, then search for the middle letter. If the letters didn't match, they made a new copy.

Comparisons of the Massoretic texts with earlier Latin and Greek versions have revealed careful copying and little deviation during the thousand years from 100 BC to 900 AD. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the writings of Josephus only add to the evidence that the Old Testament books we have today are the same that Jesus and Paul studied and quoted two thousand years ago. But how were the New Testament books preserved? How were they selected for the canon? Were there other worthy candidates that could have helped us to understand Jesus from a more diverse and balanced perspective? Were the texts manipulated at all during the turbulent centuries where the church basically abused and dominated the world? I'm just starting a book called Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman to look deeper into these questions, but for now, these are my initial thoughts and research: The canon of the New Testament was not officially set until 367 AD when Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, came up with a list of twenty-seven books which was later deemed "set" by the Councils of Carthage in 397 under the authority of St. Augustine. Most of the books were natural fits because of their direct association with the apostles (though no originals existed at the time), but there was some debate over the inclusion of certain books. Some believed that Paul used the teachings of Christ to create an unorthodox hybrid between the Hebrew and Roman religions, making a sort of Jewish Mithraism. The Gnostics of the day used the teaching of Jesus and the apostles to support their own beliefs, calling Jesus the embodiment of a supreme being (his Father) who became incarnate to bring special knowledge to an earth that had been created and subjected by the corrupt designs of a malevolent god, the Jewish god of the Old Testament. There was also a lot of debate about the book of Hebrews because of the questionable nature of it's authorship. Ultimately, the issues were settled in councils, and the New Testament was published as twenty seven books. How do we know verses were not changed over time? Well, verses are changed every day. How often does a preacher read a verse of scripture then say, "What Jesus is saying is..." or "What Paul would tell our church today is..." We always extrapolate meaning based on our personal belief systems. Why would the interpreters do any different? There is always a danger in putting things into our own words. That's why I'm not a huge fan of The Message or any other translation written to make things easier for modern readers. I would much rather put my faith in the exact words of the apostles than the seeker-friendly rephrasing of some recent translations. That's just me. When I was in Bible school, my Greek teacher told our class that, in his opinion, the translation closest to the Greek texts was the New American Standard. I bought one. Mine has little underlines of common words so that I can look up the Greek meanings in the back. I like it. For me, accuracy is very important, even though none of the original documents remain (which bothers me in a way).


As I read the New Testament, I recognize that each author is a unique individual with unique spiritual experiences. These men did not write the scriptures in a trance-like state. They were writing memoirs. They were teaching. Preaching. Peter didn't always agree with Paul. Even Paul himself will differentiate his thoughts and opinions with those given to him by the Holy Spirit. But I do have something in common with both Peter and Paul. I have a relationship with Jesus. I want to learn as much as I can from them, inspired or not.


The main reason I trust the scriptures is because the Holy Spirit always leads me back to it. My next few posts will have to do with exactly how that works. I will try to explain what it is like to be led by the Spirit and to hear the subtle voice of God. I will also be eager to hear your own stories.


But for now, I'd like to hear if you believe in the authority of Scripture. If so, why.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad to say, that up until about a year ago I hadn't cracked my Bible open at home in a long time. I had been going to church, listening to sermons, around all sorts of "Christian" influences. But all I was really doing was going through the motions. I had lost the craving to be in the Word on my own time. Pretty pathetic, right? But I bet I am not the only one who has been there.

But then I had a personal crisis, ended up clinically depressed, and I knew in order to find my way out of it, I needed to seek God. I started praying harder than I ever have in my lifetime, but for a long time, I still didn't feel like I was "hearing" anything.

I was reading my Bible, but aimlessly. I would read passages that I had previously underlined during times of deep study, but I was in a different head and heart space that I had been during the times that those passages had spoken to me.

One day, at work, I was talking with my boss, Su. while we were in her office, she reached into her purse and pulled out this tiny, little book, called, "The Power of Speaking God's Word" by Joyce Meyers. The purpose of the book was to get you to SPEAK scripture, to read it out loud, and claim the promises as truth in your own life, no matter what circumstance you found yourself in. It's split into categories (ie: Love, Hate, Peace, Fear, Work, Children, Discouragement, Weakness, etc...).

For about 2 weeks strait, I read the Depression section. Over and over, I spoke the words of those promises from the Bible, not feeling any sort of change in my heart and mind. But regardless of feeling a change in my state of mind, it sparked something in my heart... the desire to search for more.

Now, she used a variety of translations in the book, including the NAS, but also the NIV, Aplified, The Living Bible, and so on. And what I found, was that when I was reading a translation that was different than what I was familiar with, I read it more carefully. I took time to absorb the words, rather than to anticipate them. So I would then take one verse that spoke to me, and look it up in a variety of translations to see how it was interpreted by others. Thank God for the internet, and sites like Bible Gateway because you can do that so quickly and easily.

I find it interesting that you don't like the Message translation, given how it was written. Granted, Eugene Peterson says that it's purpose is not to be a study Bible, but rather a reading Bible. But he is Greek scholar and the translation was written with the purpose of taking a whole passage of scripture in the original Greek and seeing the whole, verses taking it word by word.

He was approached to write the Message translation after teaching for years from the original Greek text to his Bible studies and to his congregation. He said that he had noticed that groups of people were not being moved by scriptures that he found to be so life giving and powerful.

I understand your desire for accuracy in what you study, don't get me wrong, but I believe if you can understand it, and find it relevant to your life, than whatever translation speaks to you, is the one you should read. Anyway, back to my story :)

As I have taken the things that I have learned from these months and months of studying and applied them to my daily life, in my relationships, in my worship, my life has been drastically changed. My circumstances have not, but everything else in ME has. It was definitely a long road to overcoming the depression, but I would not have come out of it on my own.

Hebrews 4:12-13 (KJV) For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Hebrews 4:12-13 (NAS) For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

Hebrews 4: 12-13 (The Message)

God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon's scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God's Word. We can't get away from it—no matter what.

They're different, yes. But the sentiment is the same, God's Word is POWERFUL!

John Barnts said...

I'll tell you why I don't like The Message--it's cliche after cliche. Even in the passage you wrote there were two of them:

"What he says goes."
"No matter what."

For some reason I want to say "Ooooooooooh" then laugh. I guess it's just my personality. I don't like big musicals either (We saw LeMis in Paris--Ooooooooh). Or Christian trends. Or going to expensive restaraunts.

We can just say I have issues and leave it at that. :)

John Barnts said...

Also, he left out the significance of the division of soul and spirit. Soul and spirit are very different and need to be divided by the Spirit of God if we are to grow in authentic Christianity. It was a crucial lesson for me, one that I will get into as we go deeper.

His misinterpretation will leave that important meat out of the reach of his readers, leaving nothing but the sentiment behind. How much more meat has he stripped by trying to reach a modern audience?

Anonymous said...

I completely understand your point. Honestly, this scripture became alive for me when I read it in the NIV version, so probably not the best comparison anyway. As you know, I am not one for being cliche. You will NEVER hear me say, "Let Go and Let God."

But still after experiencing this passage of Scripture first hand (I believe the "Word of God" not only refers to the written Word of God but also the Living Word of Christ) I had new appreciation for translations that made scriptures I had read time and time again, challenge me to read them differently.

I wasn't saying in my post that The Message is the BEST translation, the only one I read, or anything like that. But I do like musicals and I appreciate a nice meal out. Maybe that has something to do with it. :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooooooooh (that was for you) one more thing about this passage that I left out, that's important. Leading up to it, from the beginning of chapter 4, is all about the promise of God's rest. This becomes a very central part in understanding the well known verses I referred to earlier.

If you were going to undergo major surgery, the Doctor wouldn't perform it while your up and about, running around, driving in your car, distracted by work or people... He would want you laying on the table. And hopefully, for your sake drugged. Ha.

This portion of Hebrews 4 became became important as I learned how to rest in God. It wasn't until I really learned how to be still, and put away distractions, that the power of this Scripture became real to me. For God performed major surgery on my heart, divided my soul and spirit and laid everything bare.

John Barnts said...

That's absolutely true. He did (and continues to do) the same with me.

And I agree with you about the "Word of God." Funny thing: the Bible never once calls itself the Word of God. We do that. When David said "Thy Word have I hid in my heart," he was not talking about memorizing scripture. He didn't have a Bible under his arm out there in the fields. And in this passage, Paul is not talking about how the Bible can speak to your heart.

The scriptures are always called the scriptures. The Word of God is always the living and active revelation of the Holy Spirit which continues to be present and relevant today. It can be written down, but does not have to be.

Scott Lucas said...

Well first of all it is soo hard to fit a good and solid reply into this blog, I'm super busy and I can only read about one every couple days and read the posts. but John I do appreciate it. I'm trying to get the others involved so it'll grow. anyway...

The Bible being trustworthy came up today actually, more on the point of whether it was inspired or not. I go to the community college of all community colleges (PCC haha) and one of my very old and very "enlightened" English teachers constantly challenges things of the faith, namely, that all Christians are hypocrites, the OT and NT are irreconcilable, and that Paul never quotes Jesus except on small insignificant issues.

I truly hate to point out the many fallacies within his statements in front of the class because it always turns into an argument and not a discussion (for the record I try my best to enlighten the professor and fellow students with what Christ really taught, but when it becomes bickering and arguing I can't stand it because no one is really listening or considering anymore so at those times I tend to back down because I feel it's more effective to be respectful) anyway,

Today it was brought up that Paul never quotes Christ, and some other things about doing studies on manuscripts and finding that it's a "crap shoot" to be sure of the words Jesus said and what the many translators and councils changed. I challenged him by basically saying that he was leaving out the Holy Spirit all together. I further added that Paul didn't have a NEW TESTAMENT in print, and therefor had no copy of the exact words of Christ. he did NOT walk with Christ but only knew the apostles and their teachings in terms of PHYSICAL information on the teachings of Christ. He of course did not buy this and challenged the "shakey" record keeping and truth of these letters. I then added (and am hoping to make relevant on this blog) that none of the apostles really quote Christ in their letters as often as one might think they should. He merely replied that "that is one of the saddest things about Christianity" referring to the lack of quotes by his followers in his letters.

I hope that this wasn't too boring a story, but it illustrates a very weird point that I noticed about his concern. How many non-believers have issues with the lack of Jesus' words in the letters of the apostles? after all aren't they the bulk of the NT? This is where the hope of the Holy Spirit comes in to play in a most powerful way. I agree with the point that these were people writing letters to specific Christians in specific places. I don't know that there was foresight on their part that these words would be handed on through the universal church to be used as the basis for all scripture. The holy spirit was as much a part of the author ship of those letters as it was in their ministry. So these are words that can be applied to what we're going through today, even if they were crafted to appeal to 2000 year olds.

My question starts at what point are we supposed to interpret things for ourselves? when is the line drawn that we are going too far away from "orthodoxy"? There must be some use of metaphor or else I would have no hands or eyes due to them causing me to sin would I not? This is where for me the Holy Spirit shows himself to be the most important part of my walk with Jesus.

Even within 1 John 27: "As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him"

I think this is personally becoming a life verse. It reminds me of the great importance the Holy Spirit has. The things he has done in me, and through me are undeniable by anyone. All the logical arguments in the world couldn't take the experience with Christs' spirit away. We all ought to remember what Jesus has done through us and for us as more important than the apologetic defenses we can build, for I myself became lost in them for a while there! haha

oh, and Weeenk, your comment about lying still for surgery really spoke to me. That's a very good way to put it, and reminds me of the way God works in my life. Thank you soo much for your comment!

John Barnts said...

When the Holy Spirit began to work with me, he led me directly to the scriptures. As I studied, I felt as if I was in fellowship with men like Peter, Paul, and John. We were in this together.

It is sort of like being a musician and reading the memoirs of Mozart and Miles Davis. We are all exploring music, which does not change, and the testimony of their output makes them creditable sources. I don't worry if Mozart and Miles Davis wrote "inspired" words or music, I just know by their fruit that they are men that I can learn from and use as a sounding board for my own growth.

Ultimately, it's all about me and God. But the scriptures give us a vivid picture of how things are supposed to look. It keeps us on track. Since God does not change, I can hold my own experiences up the testimonies of men and women who knew God and see if I am being deceived or if I am growing in the right direction.

When things are "happening" I find myself explaining spiritual things and accidentally using the same phrases as Paul. It's a good feeling.