Musing on Human Suffering

On May 21, 2008, a Tennessee newspaper reported the following: Steven Curtis Chapman’s youngest child died Wednesday evening after being struck by a car driven by her teenage brother in the driveway of the family’s Williamson County home. Steven Curtis Chapman? The Christian singer? The minister? His daughter was adopted. How many reasons would God need to prevent something like this from happening? But it wasn't just that it happened, but the way it happened. Another family member? On their own driveway? This is a terrible, heart-wrenching tragedy, and only one example of the kinds of things things that are happening all over the world at this very moment. How do we cope with such disturbing truths? Child rape? Abuse, mental and physical, leading to murder or suicide? Neglect that leads to insanity, starvation, or total debilitation? Should I go on? A couple of years ago, I was watching television in Spain. Apparently they don't have the same censorship that we have in America. I was watching a riot in South Africa where women were being raped and murdered in front of the camera. I saw children being thrown into trucks. Those that resisted had their bones snapped in half or were shot. I saw it happen. And I was horrified. And I cried. And I knew that it was NOT God's intention. This was different than God using his people to judge nations due for judgment. This was clearly the free actions of evil men. In my experience, this is the one issue that turns people away from Christianity more than any other. There is a serious, seemingly-unavoidable problem here, a problem that many Christians try to sidestep, but awkwardly. Simply put: God is love, God is sovereign, and the world is a horrific place. When people try to say something like, "God has a plan, we just can't understand it this side of heaven," I want to pry their eyes open with toothpicks. But these over-simplified solutions may be the only way for some people to feel secure in their lives. I run an after-school Fine Arts program at a Christian school. One day I had a conversation with a Calvinist violin teacher about sovereignty and freedom. I asked him if someone broke into his house and raped his children while he was away, who he would blame? Himself? The rapist? The devil? God? He told me that, ultimately, it all came down to God allowing the event to happen for some unknown, but good purpose. I mean, God works all things together for GOOD, right? Besides, if God isn't controlling every moment of every day, how can any of us get in our cars and feel secure driving down the freeway? I didn't ask if he wore his seat belt, used the foot pedals, or put his hands on the steering wheel. The following Saturday there was a report in the Daily Times that this same man had been convicted of sexually abusing his two adopted children who were living up in Northern California with his ex-wife. Apparently he was using the money he earned in my Academy to visit them. I wonder if he still believes that, at some level, God wanted him to do those things. I am convinced that God does not want my three-year-old daughter to be raped any more than I do. And if it happens, I will mourn. I will not shake my fist at God. I will not call Him weak. And I will not demand an explanation. Some of us might beg to differ, believing that the world is a wonderful place with miracles and blessings around every corner. I wish those people would step outside and open their eyes for a few minutes. Maybe, if they're lucky, someone with do something minor, like steal their car, beat them up, or lie to them, giving them a small wake-up call to the terrors that many people experience on a daily basis. So what is the answer? First of all, our definitions of good and bad are not necessarily shared by God. Yes, Jesus healed people, but think about all of the people he didn't heal. He walked to the Pool of Bethesda, healed one man, and left. What about all of the other sick people watching? Jesus didn't bring every dead person back to life. He didn't cast out every demon. He didn't go about trying to make sure people didn't suffer in their personal lives. He was primarily concerned with the spiritual condition of those around him, to the point of disregarding comfort entirely. Jesus assured his disciples that they would suffer while in the world. Why? Because they were strangers and aliens, citizens of a different kingdom. He tells them to take comfort in their suffering because they would be in the company of the prophets who were abused and killed for their service to God. They were, as Jesus puts it, "lights in the darkness." Therefore, comfort and happiness, though a high value to men and women of the world, is not necessarily a "blessing" as far as God is concerned. When we read, "God works all things together for the good of those who love Him," we need to ask ourselves, what is God's definition of good? 2) In John 8, Jesus tells the Jews that, because they lie and murder, they are children of their father, the devil. Men are meant to "glorify" (or display) the character and qualities of their spiritual fathers. That's how we're designed. That's why, when we grow in Christ, we begin to manifest his nature and power more and more. We become "children of God" and are changed from the qualities of our previous father, the devil, to our new father, God. We are called to stop lying to one another, stop cheating, stop manipulating, stop sinning. Why? Because we have a new father, and our purpose is to "glorify" our new father. If the world is advertising anything, it is that the children of the devil are still running things. In scripture, this is called the kingdom of darkness, or simply "the world." When we join the kingdom of God, we become the light. Our job is to "go into all the world and make disciples," or in other words, spread the light. Hebrews 2 has a prophecy about Jesus. Here are the final words, going into the author's commentary: "...You have made Him for a little while lower than the angels. You have crowned Him with glory and honor. You have appointed Him over the works of your hands. You have put all things in subjection under His feet." (then the author continues) For in subjecting all things to him, He left nothing that is not subject to him But now we do not yet see all things subjected to him. Not yet? Basically the author of Hebrews is saying that, ultimately, all things will be subject to Christ. But not yet. We are still living in the "not yet" period, which means a lot of the garbage that happens in the world is because of the "ruler of the world" who is trying to get all that he can before the end. The kingdom is the antidote. But the world will not be cured until Christ is Lord of ALL, which is coming when the "ruler of this world" is judged along with his demons and "children." And if we are living in the world of our enemy, we should expect trouble. Sometimes God intervenes in our suffering, but not always the way we want or when we want. We must believe that He is ultimately more concerned with our spiritual development than physical. And also, that he will allow his people to suffer and die, which, in God's economy, is considered an honor, one that His Son embraced fully for the salvation of the world.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

One night many years ago I was driving home from visiting with my fiancee at work, and while on the freeway I felt a sudden flurry of spiritual activity around me...I know that sounds crzy maybe, but there was something evil going on, and I was vaguely aware that it meant me harm. Then a voice broke in to my thoughts and said, "get off the freeway now or you will die." It was a calm voice, not threatening or fearful. I had the sense that to die would not be a bad thing, but that I was being warned for a purpose (presumably it wasn't my "time"). So I exited and it all died down (though I was a bit shaken). I believe that God was protecting my life, and that it was likely an angel speaking to me. What is odd about it is that I think, well if God wants to protect me, why doesn't He just do it? Why ask me to do anything, as if my choice matters? I knew I could have stayed on the freeway and I am about 99% certain I would indeed have died somehow. I get the feeling that the devil does have freedom, and that God's intervention on behalf of His children isn't a given--like we never have to wear seatbelts because if we're going to die we're going to die and who can stop what God has determined? I don't know how it all works, but I thought that experience brought up an interesting detail.