Another College Story

I came to a mental crossroads in my spiritual life in my junior year of college. I got to the point where I was exhausted by "God-speak." I was tired of “giving God the glory” for things that I was probably just doing myself. Would I have to go through the rest of my life hoping that God would keep “opening and closing doors” for me? I wanted to hear from God. I wanted to know what He was doing. I was ready to abandon all guesswork entirely. My opportunity came. I needed a job, and the best job I could find while attending school was as a church accompanist—decent pay, limited hours. I auditioned at a large church and was offered the position, but I needed to start right away and I would have to continue through the summer. If I took the job, I couldn’t go on the summer ministry tour I was planning, and I would have to find housing in the area. I told the choir director that I would pray about it and give her a decision on Sunday. That was Wednesday. While I was driving home from the audition, I thought about what I said. Would I really be able to know what God wanted me to do? I remember feeling very strongly about finding out for sure this time. Did He want me to stay back from a ministry tour just to make money, or would He provide a more flexible job? Before I got home I had made a decision. I would ceremoniously fry myself a cheeseburger and then not eat again until I was sure that God had given me an answer. I went home, ate the burger, and prayed like a maniac. The next day, I was talking to a friend who said that if I wanted to stay in Los Angeles for the summer, I could stay in his apartment and share the rent. If I went on tour, we could lead the ministry team together. It didn’t give me an answer, but it did open up a place to stay. I refused to open my Bible during this time, afraid that I would read into the verses. I felt bad, like I was trying to twist God’s arm, but I knew that I had to persevere. I was so tired of not being sure. By Friday night, “hungry” was an understatement. I remember going to a restaurant with my friends but not planning to eat. Smart. While I was sitting there, watching everyone else eat, I looked over at the friend who had offered to share the summer with me. I can’t explain why, but at that moment, I knew that I should take the accompanist job and stay in Los Angeles. It was a feeling. I didn’t really want a feeling. I wanted a burning bush outside the music building. Later that night, I ate. I didn’t get sick. I didn’t feel guilty. But I have to admit, I didn’t feel confident either. On Sunday, I told the director that I would take the job. “When did you decide?” she asked. “Friday night.” “What time?” I thought back. “Around 6:00.” She looked startled. “That’s interesting. Because at 6:00, Friday night, something told me to stop worrying about the choir job. It was such a strong sensation that I looked at my watch.” So God wanted me to make money and not go on the ministry tour? Funny thing: I got married that summer, but at the time, I wasn't even dating Laurie. How could I have known? I needed to stay home. That first experience in college forever altered my approach to faith. I was finally confident that God could speak to me and confirm His word. I also knew that living by faith was something that I had to pursue. No more open and closed doors. No more superstitious God-speak. No magic Bible verses. No pointless prayers or Christianese. For once, it was real.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Wait... that was the Summer after your Junior year, not your sophomore year. The Summer after sophomore year we were touring Summer Camps.

Jenn said...

Good thing this isn't the Bible or we could throw out your whole story as suspect since the "archeological evidence" doesn't seem to support the facts.
:)

Jenn said...

I got tired of always guessing too. I figured that if God spoke to me once (when I first believed) then He could do it again, and maybe even was willing to. It just always felt kind of scary, insecure...just guessing at what He wanted or hoping my Biblical interpretation was sound. Going forward in anything without knowing for sure what He wanted felt a lot more like simple bravery than actual faith, looking back. I was just hoping that if I was wrong, it would all work out and He would forgive me. yikes! As it has turned out, He is much more like a commanding officer than someone far off who wrote a life manual for us eons ago and expects us to figure out what to do with ourselves. He wants to show the world who He is through us, and that takes daily listening, surrendering...His guidance usually does come as a feeling to me, like what happened to you John, only it has taken years to recognize His moving in my heart as distinct from my own body/soul's urges. And I still get it wrong sometimes. Anyway, the main thing I learned is that that "feeling" you mentioned is like sudden knowledge that changes everything, even how you feel. Like you said, you just knew you were supposed to take the job. But I'll bet that knowing seemed to come from outside you, right? Like someone just downloaded into your heart? (Objection, leading the witness!) OK, but seriously, that's how it is, right? Another Person is acting within, and that Person we come to know as Good, and we know His voice as distinct from all others the longer we seek Him and eagerly desire to know Him above all else.

And I think he is willing to confirm to us what He says, too, so we don't have to wonder who we're "hearing". Like the 6 o'clock thing. Just gotta ask and wait...

John Barnts said...

Yeah, Wendy, you're right. Junior year. I'll fix it.

And as for how God speaks and interacts with me, I have stories, but each one is different. I guess He doesn't like to get pegged. Or He's too creative to keep doing things the same way. Who knows? I guess I can't predict anything, which puts me in a nice state of trusting and listening.

babybinko said...

A turning point in my faith occurred a number of years ago when I had previously refused to ask God for things, as I felt since the world was so screwed up He had plenty to worry about and I shouldn't bother Him.
I had had a falling out with a friend 7 years prior to this time and still had lingering contempt in my heart for this person. One day I heard myself saying something bad about this old friend and I became a little bit appalled with what I had said.
I broke my policy and asked God to please put forgiveness in my heart. I had been carrying around this ill will for too long and I really wanted to be able to forgive my friend for the past and open my heart despite the events that led to the end of our friendship.
Literally the next day I was golfing at a very small golf course a few blocks from my house and I turn around to see him standing 3 feet from me!!! I had not seen him in 7 years and the last I knew he was living 300 miles away from me.
Not only did I know exactly what I had to do, but I also knew at that moment that God was telling me, "See, I do want you to come to me".