God's Voice #3

Knowing God's love did a whole lot for my emotional stability, but very little for my Christian character. Growing up, I was always zealous and argumentative, but my zeal and personal Bible study seemed to have no effect against my arrogant, lustful nature. It was a constant point of frustration for me, especially after my experience on the mountain. My first year after college, I was reading a science fiction novel by C.S. Lewis called Perelandra. The book was set on Venus, but it was really about Adam and Eve. In one particular scene, the Devil character was having a conversation with the Eve character, playing on her naive, childish sensibilities to create a sense of bitterness and confusion between her and the God character. The problem was, I actually found myself agreeing with the Devil character. However, when I saw the inevitable result of his arguments, I realized the error of my thinking. It was then that God spoke to me. The message came just as clear and as moving as it had in High School. Wrong function comes from wrong beliefs. The reason you sin is not for lack of effort, but for lack of truth. In other words, I had weeds in the garden of my belief system, and I thought they were flowers. To settle this new dilemma, I decided to go through the entire Bible with a blue highlighter, marking every verse that had any meaning for me. Then I wrote those verses on 3X5 cards and stored them in plastic containers to be memorized. When it was time to start memorizing, I just grabbed a box. The first cards in the box started with I Corinthians 2, so that's where I started. For the next week or so, as my brain marinated in scripture, I found myself being directed in my understanding. The mental process went something like this (verses in italics): I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. Wait . . . Paul came to Corinth in weakness, fear, and trembling? That’s not how I imagined him. Not in persuasive words of wisdom? Isn’t that what preaching is? Is Paul saying that if I persuade someone to faith with logic that their faith would rest on my wisdom and not on the power of God? Could our current method of preaching actually harm believers, making them dependent on the preachers? Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. What is this wisdom that Paul is referring to? Apparently it is something that mature believers understand and speak to one another. It is spoken in a mystery. It is hidden. It is predestined for the glory of believers—whatever that means. It is something that the world does not understand. Do I? But just as it is written, “Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard, and which have not entered the heart of man, all that God has prepared for those who love him.” For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. I always thought these verses were about heaven, but apparently these “things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard” were revealed—past tense—by the Holy Spirit. Maybe these are the mysteries that Paul was talking about. Prepared for those who love him? That must be church, or certain people in the church. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. Man knows man. God knows God. If we want to know God, we have to learn about Him from the Spirit of God. He is given to us so that we might know God and acquire the things freely given to us by God. These “things” are what “eye has not seen and ear has not heard.” The hidden wisdom. Combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words? What is a spiritual thought? One that originates from the Spirit. What is a spiritual word? A spiritual thought released. But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. “For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ. People that do not have the Spirit of God will resist the hidden wisdom that the mature believers speak. It will sound like foolishness to them. They can’t even understand it. That would also make sense of the next few verses. First Paul quotes an Old Testament question: “Who has known the mind of the Lord that he should instruct him?” Exactly. Man does not know God. Then he answers the question with a powerful phrase: “But we have the mind of Christ.” Not we might have the mind of Christ. Not, with a little growth, we will develop a mind like Christ’s. No, we have the mind of Christ. Present tense. Through the Holy Spirit. Spiritual men are beyond reproof because their words and actions originate in God himself, therefore a natural man cannot judge them. Do we even believe this as a church? After so many false prophets and corrupt leaders, do we still believe that God can make us into people that are beyond reproach? I think that we have become like an abused woman that no longer believes in love, or a lawyer that has lost his belief in justice. Look at the current trends in our "emerging" church. Has our dependance on our minds and human leaders severed our spiritual spinal cord, causing us to lose our belief in absolute truth?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes sense to me. But I would challenge your last comment about spiritual minded, godly men being "above reproach". There will always be a level of humanity in us, even though we have the Mind of Christ, because we have earthly bodies.

Because how else would that explain believers having different experiences, different viewpoints, belong to different political parties :) etc... wouldn't the mind of Christ think the same thing about all things?

by Jim MacQuarrie said...

Look at the current trends in our "emerging" church. Has our dependance on our minds and human leaders severed our spiritual spinal cord, causing us to lose our belief in absolute truth?

I think we have the opposite problem; there's been a rejection of the mind in Christian circles since the rise of Darwin. We're told to ignore evidence, deny intellect, and put our trust and faith in what we're taught by the church doctrine, even if said teaching appears nowhere in the Bible.

We have evangelism training programs that tell us "we need to bypass the intellect (the place of argument) and speak to the conscience....")

I say we need to speak to both, "for God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and a strong mind."

John Barnts said...

So basically you are both saying is that Paul's ideal of the "spiritual man" presented in I Corinthians is impossible because men could never be so in tune with the Holy Spirit that the output can be pure. That would seem to make all of the words of Paul, the prophets, and even Jesus suspect. Weren't they all clothed with this same flesh?

Paul was talking about mature believers in this passage, not just any old born again Christian. We shouldn't base Paul's assesment of "spiritual men" on the kind of people we see in church today.

Just because people are Christian leaders does not mean they have their senses trained to discern between their souls and their spirits. We ordain a lot of men based on seminary training and preaching before a panel. How do we know these people are called of God? Their test scores? Also, we don't often elect our elders based on their maturity either. Do we even know what spiritual men look like?

I do agree that we Christians tend to ignore the mind and blindly follow our leaders. But to say that God has equipped us all with a "strong mind" is really not sufficient. There are many smart people in the world that are not Christians. The power, love, and sound mind that Paul is referring to here is something that is God given, it is spiritual. It cannot be reproduced in the world. This is the outworking of the Holy Spirit and is exactly what I'm talking about. It is not about people being good at debating apologetics.

Like Paul said at the beginning of I Cor. 2, "I did not come to you with persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the spirit and of power..." There is a mystery here that the Lord brought me to right away. All of my dependance had been in my superior mind. I had read the Bible through at least 12 times. He had to start me from scratch.

As you can probably tell, I have a lot more to say on this topic. This was just a teaser trailer. This topic changed my life. Well, at least it started everything. The gospel changed my life, but I haven't gotten to that yet. As soon as I stopped trusting the abilities of my soul (mind, will, and emotions) and started approaching truth with my arms open and my eyes upward, the change was radical.

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't put words in my mouth (or on my finger tips!) Ha. I was just starting the conversation...

Jenn said...

I got to thinking...the "sound [or strong] mind" that Paul was talking about is a mind that is solid in truth. The devil gets at us by lying (which comes to our minds and later affects the heart, if the lie is believed), but if we KNOW the truth, because God Himself has revealed it and we have believed Him, then we reject the devil's whisperings and the world's teaching. We come to know God by His Spirit, and come to see clearly as He teaches us. It's supernatural.